- This event has passed.
Slow Food Phoenix Sustainable Seafood Month Social Media Challenge
October 1 - October 31
Slow Food Phoenix is hosting a Social Media Challenge to kick off National Seafood Month and we’d love for you to join us. Sustainable Seafood is all about how to choose seafood that’s fished or farmed in ways that support a healthy ocean, now and for future generations.
If you are at the grocery store look for the labeling that identifies the fish you are choosing is sustainable. When you are out dining ask your server or chef which sustainable varieties they offer on their menu. Many chefs are now bringing awareness to the forefront and we are beginning to see more and more sustainable options identified on their menus.
Why Choose Sustainable?
It is better for the oceans.
It is good for the whole family.
It is a way to drive change with your shopping habits.
It’s available at every price point.
It’s a way to ensure seafood for generations to come.
Whether you are a home cook, an avid diner or a professional chef we want to see your pictures of sustainable seafood showcased here in the valley. Even though we live in the desert we can still do our part to support sustainable seafood whether we are dining out or cooking at home. To learn more about sustainable varieties and current work being done to protect our oceans visit Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch.
How to enter:
Celebrate National Seafood month by posting one seafood picture per week
- Create a sustainable seafood dish
- Post photos to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter
- Include what the seafood item is, where it is from and what it’s sustainability rating is based on from Seafood Watch – use their website or download their app.
- For the entry to be received social media profile must be public, tag @slowfoodphx and hashtag #sustainableseafood
How to win:
- Two winners will be chosen each week throughout the month of October with prizes to be awarded.
- One professional chef and one non-professional chef will be chosen each week
- We will then choose the overall top two winners from the entire month
- Post the best photographed green listed seafood item
- Winners will be notified via whichever social media platform they used to post the picture.
Good Luck and thank you for joining us in creating healthier and more diverse oceans for future generations to come!
Slow Food Phoenix
Slowfoodphoenix.org / info@slowfoodphoenix